Dr. David Elgavish
I Graduate teachers college and Bar-Ilan University in Bible and Hebrew Language Departments (B.A. and a teaching certificate), Bible and Assyriology (M.A. and PhD).
I taught at all stages of the education system: elementary school, high schools, colleges (Orot College and Levinsky College, where I also served as Head of the Department of Bible). I teach in the Department of Bible at Bar-Ilan in a row from the year 1974.
The Diplomatic Service in the Bible and Ancient Near Eastern Sources, Magnes press, Jerusalem 1998 (in Hebrew).
Garsiel M. & R. Kasher & A. Frisch & D. Elgavish (eds.), Studies in Bible and Exegesis, X, presented to S. Vargon, Ramt-Gan 2011.
- "The Vision of the Temple Mount: A Chapter from the School of 'Zion Tradition' From the Time of the Campaign of Sennacherib Against Judah," Beit Miqra 38 (1993), pp. 193-205 (in Hebrew.).
- "The Diplomatic Messenger in the Bible and its Parallels in the Ancient Near East", Proceedings of the 11 World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem 1994, pp. 79-86 (in Hebrew.).
- "Succot: The Name of a Place or Temporary Buildings", Beit Miqra 39 (1994), pp. 367-376 (in Hebrew.).
- “Did Diplomatic Immunity Exist In The Ancient Near East?”, Journal of the History of International Law 2 (2000), pp. 73-90.
- "Objective of Baasha's War against Asa", in M. Weinfeld and G. Galil (eds.), Studies in Historical Geography & Biblical Historiography Presented to Zechariah Kallai, Supplements to Vetus Testamentum LXXXI, Leiden 2000, pp. 141-149.
- "The Encounter of Abram and Melchizedek: Covenant Establishment", in A. Wénin (ed.), Studies in the Book of Genesis: Literature, Redaction and History (Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensium CLV), Leuven 2001, pp. 495-508.
- "The Divisions of the Spoils of War in the Bible and in the Ancient Near East", Zeitschrift für Altorientalische und Biblische Rechstgeschichte 8 (2002), pp. 242-273.
- P. Artzi, J. Klein and D. Elgavish, "The Letter of the King of Beirut to the King of Ugarit: A Different Interpretation", in Robert Deutsch ed., Shlomo: Studies in Epigraphy, Iconography, History and Archaeology in Honor of Shlomo Mousaieff, Jerusalem: Archaeological Center Publications 2003, pp. 23-35.
- "Extradition of Fugitives in International Relations In the Ancient Near East", Jewish Law Association Studies XIV (2004), pp. 33-57.
- “Ya’el, Wife of Heber the Kenite, in Biblical Perspective”, Jewish Law Association Studies XVI (2007), pp. 78-100.
- "Inquiring of God before Ratifying a Treaty", Thinking towards New Horizons: Collected Communications to XIXth Congress of the International Organization for the Study of the Old Testament, Ljubljana 2007, pp. 73-84.
- Book Review: Shai le-Sara Japhet, Studies in the Bible, its Exegesis and its Language Beit Miqra 53/2 (2007), pp. 139-160.
- “Justification for War in the Ancient Near East and in the Bible”, Jewish Law Association Studies XVIII (2008), pp. 37-69.
- "Concerning the Droughts”: Jeremiah 14:1-15:9 – Structure and Significance", in H.M. Niemann & M. Augustin (eds.), "My Spirit at Rest in the North Country (Zechariah 6. 8): Collected Communications to the XXth Congress of the International Organization for the Study of the Old Testament, Helsinki 2010, pp. 51-64.
- "The Freeing of Captives in the Ancient Near East and in the Bible", in: Y. Levin and A. Shapira (eds.), War and Peace in Jewish Tradition: From the Biblical World to the Present, London & New York: Routledge, 2012, pp. 9-25.
- "Restrained Descriptions of War in the Book of Kings", in Michael Avioz, Elie Assis & Yael Shemesh (eds.), Zer Rimonim: Studies in Biblical Literature and Jewish Exegesis Presented to Professor Rimon Kasher, Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature 2013, pp. 156-184.
- Schwartz Jehoshua and David Elgavish (eds.), Selected Items from the Weekly Torah Reading, Bar-Ilan University, 1998 (in Hebrew).
- War and Peace in the world of the Bible: an annual academic Internet course in Hebrew and English for students in Israel and abroad of the University Faculty of Jewish Studies.
- "The Division of the Land by Lot", Talelei Orot, 3 (1991), pp. 151-155 (in Hebrew).
- "Abram and Melchi-zedek, the King of Shalem," Mehkerei Hag, A Journal for Jewish Culture, 4 (1992), pp. 8-14 (in Hebrew).
- Religion and Foreign Policy in the Kingdom of Judah during the Period of the Assyrian Hegemony," Talelei Orot, 4 (1992-1993), pp. 14-22 (in Hebrew).
- "The Exodus from Egypt in the Light of Egyptian Documentation", Mehkerei Hag, 5 (1994), pp. 96-106 (in Hebrew).
- "The Battle at Ramah: A Border Dispute between Baasha and Asa", Judea and Samaria Research Studies, 3 (1993), pp. 45-54 (in Hebrew).
- "Structure and Meaning in the Temple Speech of Jeremiah 7:1-17: To the place of Literary Analysis in the Teaching of the Later Prophets", Al Hapereq, 7 (1994), pp. 26-33 (in Hebrew).
- "The Division of the Ten Commandments Into Two Tablets", Talelei Orot, 5 (1994), pp. 25-31 (in Hebrew).
- “Restraint in the Wars between Israel and Judah”, Judea and Samaria Research Studies, 4 (1994), pp. 59-68 (in Hebrew).
- Psalms 47: God's kingship psalm or God's coronation psalm", Talelei Orot, 6 (1995), pp. 49-62 (in Hebrew).
- "The Rule of God in the World According to the Book of Esther", Mehkerei Hag, 6 (1995), pp. 38-44 (in Hebrew).
- "Covenent Making between the Gibeonites and the Israelites", Talelei Orot, 7 (1997), pp. 53-61.
- On the Droughts (Jer. 14:1-15:9): Structure and Significance", Mo'ed: Annual for Jewish Studies 13 (2003), pp. 1-21.
Books: Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Jeremiah, Amos, Psalms, Ruth, Esther, Chronicles.
Monographs: Love and Hatred in the Book of Genesis, Moshe's Figure, Conquest and Settlement, The United Kingdom,the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, Judah in the Shadow of Assyria and Babylon, Epigraphic Sources to the History of Israel in the Biblical period, History and Historiography in the Bible, Topics from the Bible in the Light of the Geography and the Archeology, The Land of Israel in the Biblical Period, Jerusalem is in the Biblical Period, Daily Life in Israel in the Biblical Period, War and Peace in the Biblical Thought, The Treaty Idea in the Bible, the Biblical Prophecy, Women in the Bible, Study and Research the Bible with the Computer and Internet. Bibliographic Instruction, Intruduction to the Bible.
The international relations and the international law in the Biblical Period, The history of Israel and the Land of Israel in the Biblical Period, the historiographic literature in the Bible and its parallels in the Ancient Near East.
I wrote few online courses:
Love and Hatred in the Book of Genesis
the kingdoms of Israel and Judah
Epigraphic Sources to the History of Israel in the Biblical period
Daily Life in Israel in the Biblical Period,
War and Peace in the Biblical Thought
Topics from the Bible in the Light of the Geography and the Archeology
Epigraphic Sources to the History of Israel in the Biblical period